How to Use USB Ethernet Adapter: Install It Now On Mac/Windows 10Joseph Lee
So you bought a new generic USB to Ethernet adapter but are unable to figure out how to use it? You’ve come to the right place. We’ve heard many users complain that they are clueless about the setup process. Back in the day CDs used to help us download the required drivers and everything would work smoothly. Now, however, you have to take a few steps.
How to Use USB Ethernet Adapter?
In this guide, we will walk you through the entire process of installing it on a Mac and Windows 10.
USB Ethernet Adapter Mac Setup
Follow the steps below if you have a Mac:
- If you have installed any drivers in an attempt to set up the USB Ethernet adapter by yourself, get rid of them immediately. Uninstall all of them.
- Now, restart your Mac. If your USB is plugged in, unplug it.
- Press Command + R when the screen is blank until you see the Apple logo.
- You have sent your Mac into recovery mode. Wait for it to boot.
- Now, go to Utilities (you’ll find this on the top bar) and from there, navigate to Terminal.
- Run csrutil disable in the Terminal.
- Now click on the Apple Logo on the bar on top and restart your Mac.
- Download the required drivers in case you do not have a CD slot in your Mac – they are easily available online. Drivers are built-in in Mac OSX 10.7 and up.
- Reboot your Mac.
- Run sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/USBCDCEthernet.kext on your Terminal.
- Reboot once more.
- Now is the time to use your USB adapter. Plug it in and plug it with the Ethernet cable as well.
- Navigate to System Preferences > Network > + button > Select USB 2.0 > Add
- There you go. Your USB Ethernet adapter should work seamlessly now.
USB Ethernet Windows 10 Adapter
Are you a Windows user? The steps below will help you:
- Make sure your Windows 10 is updated to the latest version.
- Make sure your Internet connection is working – You will need the Internet to download the required drivers. Windows 10 has built-in drivers for a few adapters, but there are chances that it may not have the drivers for the adapter you are using. If that’s the case, you will need to download the drivers from the adapter’s site and install it. Installation steps are also usually given by the company. Just go to their website, and you’ll get all the setup information you need. We are not mentioning it here because the steps may depend on the adapter being used as well.
- Once this is done, your USB Ethernet adapter will start working.
There you go! This might seem a little time-consuming, but we think it is definitely worth the effort because you will be able to enjoy seamless Internet once you go through the process. Doubts? Feel free to comment, and we’ll help you out!